The Trinity College Library, colloquially named the Old Library, is the largest library in Ireland. It is the site of the beautifully illustrated, 1200 year old Book of Kells, whose ancient pages Queen Elizabeth II, among others, have perused. The library is constructed in the fabulously decadent style that defines much of old Dublin, and is an essential attraction for visitors stopping by Trinity College University. The Old Library’s importance to Ireland’s intellectual, religious and social history mean its contents, panelling and structure are kept in perpetually immaculate shape.
Those visiting the library are commonly dazzled by its Long Room – an arched corridor almost 300 years old that features many of the books and tomes of the library either side, with busts of famous figures lining each separate row of shelves. The room’s striking, centrepiece status is topped off by The Trinity Harp which is a wonderful example of a Renaissance string instrument in full working order over 500 years since its original completion.
|Trinity Library, Trinity College Dublin, the University of Dublin, College Green, Dublin 2, D02 DK07, Ireland.
|+353 1 896 1661